Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Ajia picked up the cell phone excitedly and greeted in Gonja the person on the other line. She had a big smile on her face as she talked away, while Barkison, her grandaughted waited to get a chance at the phone. When Barkiso finally had the phone she exploded into a “happy mother’s day Auntie!”. Throughout the morning, phone calls came and went of women calling to wish each other a happy mother’s day. As I washed away at my clothes these phone calls brought a warm feeling to my heart, and an appreciation for all those women who devote their life to their children. This appreciation was only made stronger after four hours of washing and cleaning house.

Ajia
Ajia is the matriarch of my compound. She is a strong and intimidating personality with a soft and just heart, and the most incredible laugh I have ever heard. Her laugh comes from deep within her and booms out of her with a big smile.

I don’t know too much about her life story, except that she is the wife of Gonja chief. Her children all grown up, she now looks after the compound of one of her sons (also my home in Tamale). Every day, I come home to find a shifting population of children in the house. Currently there are approximately 10 children and two adolescent boys, all her grandchildren, living with her. Her daughter in law is also here, with her kids included amongst the multitude. Every morning there is an assembly line of children being bathed, proceeding to the ritual of tea and bread when all the screaming and crying kids finally settle down to munch on bread and drink lipton. I watch her as she does all her activities with firmness and a deep love for every child.

When I first arrived she insisted to Dan that I better learn to speak Gonja. Now I greet her every morning with “Ashuma”, afternoons I am home with “Entre”, and every evening with “Anula”. I was intimidated by her then. She never learned my name and would shout at me for everything I did wrong. It is on my return to Africa that I discovered within her firmness, the unconditional love for her family, her strength as a woman, her hard work.


Ama
Ama is my host mother in Kpandai. She owns a restaurant that she started out of nothing with her own savings. Ama is a woman representing the transition from the old to the new Ghana. She separated from her husband many years ago and after seeing her son grow up, she now looks after her brother’s children. He own son is now bringing up his highschool marks to get into higher education and she works hard to be able to fund him in his endeavours.
Ama is a natural entrepreneur. With only primary education, she has learned through experience to make her business successful. Ama started trading at the Togo border and soon discovered this business involved too much financial risk as her customers were often unreliable payees. Throughout her time as a trader, she had taken the initiative to save money. She invested these savings into some building blocks and grout, leased some land from the chief that no one wanted, and built a small restaurant in the middle of town. She started off selling food and brought in drinks when she realized this was more profitable. Over time she expanded her small restaurant into what it is now.

Ama is consistently in search of opportunity. She is also a networker, seeking relationships with her clients and seeking the advice of the knowledgeable people that surround her. Her business has had its ups and downs, but she is always there from dawn till dusk and beyond working hard to make it successful. Recently, business has been slow. In response, she is actively seeking for innovative ways of developing her business to attract clientele. As she thinks of expanding her business, she is facing the likelihood of having to seek a loan from the credit union. This makes her nervous but she is willing to take the risk.

Ama is my inspiration for her determination, her persistence, her courage and her openness to all people. She will welcome everyone and anyone into her restaurant, listening patiently to their story without judgment.

So today, on Mother’s day, remember your own mother, and the millions around the world that are working hard to make a place in the world for themselves and their children. Find your inspiration in them and strive to reflect it in your own life. And of course remember to wish them a happy mother’s day. Feliz dia de la Madre mami!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Luisa! It's inspiring to read about these two amazing mothers in Ghana. I was wondering how these women view you? I mean you are in a pretty neat situation living with this guy you love, working for a better future for Ghana, but with no kids!
    Thanks and quidate mucho!
    -binnu
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luisa, I have been late coming to your blog, but I just read the most recent post and I loved it. I loved the strong women you profiled and despite the fact that it is no longer Mother's Day - I hope you will continue to share many of the strong and inspiration people you are meeting so very far away in Ghana.
    Hope to chat soon,
    A

    ReplyDelete